This Policy does not govern personal information about our employees.
What Constitutes Personal Information? Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, but does not include business contact information including the name, title, business address or business telephone number of an employee of any organization.
Collection of Personal Information: When you apply to live at Killam’s properties or if you contact our staff or send us inquiries, we may collect some or all of the following personal information about you:
Date of birth
Address (postal) and telephone number
Property preferences and history
Credit card and / or bank account information
Social Insurance Number (optional – see below)
Identity of your employer
The information above is generally collected from you, but we may also obtain such information from financial institutions, credit agencies and your reference contacts, for the purpose of assessing your credit and for processing your transactions and payments.
Providing your Social Insurance Number is optional. Please note however that most credit reporting agencies use the Social Insurance Number as a unique identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing credit reports. If you do not wish to provide your Social Insurance Number, our ability to obtain a timely and accurate credit report may be affected, hence affecting our ability to complete the contemplated transaction in a timely manner.
Use of Personal Information: Your personal information may be used by us as permitted or required by law, and as reasonably necessary in relation to our transactions and services that we provide to you, including:
- to process invoices and payments by credit card, debit systems or other billing and payment options;
- to arrange appropriate financing or leasing arrangements;
- to provide you with payment and other reminders and notices in relation to your property or premises; and
- to provide you with updates and information regarding services and opportunities offered by Killam and affiliated companies which may be of interest to you (but only your name, address and telephone number will be used for this purpose).
Sharing Your Personal Information: We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of your personal information as required or permitted by law, and as reasonably necessary in relation to our transactions and services with you, including:
- to third parties responsible for invoicing and payment processing;
- to credit bureaus and agencies to conduct credit checks;
- to financial and leasing companies;
- to your insurance agent or company and insurance adjusters;
- to affiliated companies of Killam, for the purpose of tenant and customer follow-up and to seek your input about and advise you of the opportunities and services of Killam and its affiliates, but for this purpose we shall not share more than your name, address and telephone number;
- to affiliated companies for the purpose of establishing your credit history among such affiliated companies, if you intend to enter into a transaction with such companies; and
- to another company or business, in the event of a proposed transfer or actual transfer of ownership of all or part of our companies to another company or business, but for this purpose, we shall not authorize use of your personal information beyond the scope of any such transaction or this Policy.
How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information? We retain your personal information as long as your relationship or transaction otherwise continues with us, and as long as reasonably necessary to address any issues and satisfy any potential legal obligations that we may have.
Contact Us: If you wish to file a complaint, make an inquiry regarding or obtain access to your personal information that we may hold, please contact:
Killam Apartment REIT.
3700 Kempt Road
Halifax, NS, B2X 3K4
Please be aware that access may not be provided to certain information in accordance with PIPEDA, including information which is protected by lawyer-client privilege, constitutes confidential third party or commercial information, was collected in respect of the investigation of a breach of an agreement or of law, or is generated in respect of dispute resolution.